Sunday, March 17, 2013

Paris: City of Lights, City of Love... and Cats.

It just so happens that I was the luckiest girl in the world for my birthday this year. Since we are in Europe I thought it would be a fantastic opportunity to go to Paris for the weekend of my big 25th. The group included Kate, Dani, Lisa, Aleks, and me.
The city is beautiful, historic, and SO LARGE. I always envisioned it as a quaint little town with the Eiffel Tower in the center. The city is, in reality, expansive. 
I quickly realized that Paris was not only the city of Love and Lights but also CATS! Most of you know I love cats. They were everywhere! Cat posters, cat memorabilia... thank you Toulouse Lautrec.
My birthday morning came and we headed to class for the morning, then jetted to King's Cross Station for our 2.30 train, luckily having the spare time to knock back a Bloody Mary- cheers, its my birthday.. I can do what I please, right?


We arrived in Paris and dropped off our luggage at our hostel in MonteMarte and headed to the steps of Sacre Coeur with a bottle of champagne, wine, and some cheese and crackers. I saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time and the city was magnificent from the top of the hill. 
We popped the bottle and cheers to my quarter life milestone, laughing and talking. I will never forget it!
I put on my gold party dress and we had dinner at a bistro around the corner. 



The next day we visited the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, and had crepes and wine throughout. It was pretty cold but we tried to bundle up as best as we could. 

Saturday, we walked to the very top of the Arc de Triomphe for another expansive view of the city. We could make out the Eiffel Tower through the fog and haze. Later in the afternoon Aleks and I made the trip to the very top of the Eiffel (both afraid of heights, we didn't stay very long at the top). We rewarded ourselves with nutella and strawberry crepes and hot chocolate beside the Seine River.
Our last dinner in Paris we went to a French bistro right in front of the Eiffel Tower. At the beginning of each hour we'd see it light up and sparkle! So delicious, too. 



Our last morning in Paris we went to the steps of Sacre Coeur again to see the city during the day and visit the church. It was spectacular in a new way with the sun shining. 
Kate, Dani, Aleks, and I headed to Notre Dame and toured through the sanctuary- the stained glass was breathtaking. Since it was Sunday there was a noon mass taking place. 
We saw so many things but our tour of Notre Dame might be my favorite!
The trip will make my next few birthdays seem pretty mundane- not sure I can top this one. We'll see what the future holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment